Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 08:25:41PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> If we are going to package them at all, we should do our best to keep
> them up to date.
>
> Otherwise, we should not be packaging virus descriptions at all.

It may be reasonable in many cases to not package virus definitions, IDS
definitions, spam filter rules, or the like.  In most cases, these are
updated regularly upstream and we'd end up needing to release new
packages far too regularly.  Many of these packages already include
tools for downloading and installing new databases.

The real problem is that it's not uncommon for these packages to change
database formats during the course of their development.  That happened
with both snort and ClamAV, and possibly others, since woody was
released.  New rules are being released regularly in the new database
formats, but not in the old formats.  Thus, the packages in stable are
useless. [1] We either need to be able to update from e.g. snort 0.8 to
snort 0.9 with a stable point release, or we need to completely exclude
packages like snort from stable releases.  I believe the latter option
is a disservice to our users, as is the status quo.

noah

[1] I've heard it argued that there are people out there who may *want*
to protect their Windows systems only from the set of viruses or their
networks from the set of exploits that were known at the time of woody's
release... That argument is absurd, and I don't think it's worth
considering.