Re: Incorrect use of "it's" in package control files -- file mass bug?

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 11:22:20AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> "John H. Robinson, IV" <jaqque@debian.org> writes:
> > Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> > > That's just how language works: messy and inconsistent.

> > And this is why I lament the lack of a clear, solid, unambiguous word to
> > mean "from the USA."

> The lack of such a word may be lamentable, but that doesn't translate
> into the sudden existence of such a word.  Language doesn't change by
> people saying "I'm going to use a new word now, and you all should
> change!"

*cough* aluminum [1]

[1] http://pearl1.lanl.gov/periodic/elements/13.html

Language does change like that. Maybe it is not enforced upon
others, but I think most new words appear based on a gap between
lexicon and idea, or where a more regular phrase needs contraction
due to frequent usage. Or from the compounding of two words for a
new or changed idea... You get the point, I expect.

English doesn't have an institute per se. to monitor the language and
approve or deny new words...

However, I understand French does...?

This is all much easier in Japanese where [America-jin] "American"
can be used to refer to anyone caucasian. I dunno if it refers to
other non-Japanese people though. ^_^

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.