Re: Incorrect use of "it's" in package control files -- file mass bug?

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 05:24:21PM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> Brian Nelson wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 02:52:16PM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> > >
> > > I still stand by ``If you are from the Americas, you are American.''
> > > Period. You can claim all that you want otherwise; few will actually
> > > argue with you. You can also claim that the sky is blue, and few will
> > > argue with that. That does not make you correct[1].
> >
> > Fine, then take your strange definitions that are inconsistent with the
> > entire rest of the world but you still think are "correct" and go
> > somewhere else.
>
> Are you saying that Canadians are not Americans? That Mexicans are not
> Americans? Than Panamanians are not Americans? That Chileans are not
> Americans? That Mayans are not Americans? That the Iroquois are not
> Americans?

Yes, that is the common usage.

> I am not asking if you would call them that in common usage, since few
> people in the USA refer to President Bush as an American, but instead as
> a Texan.

Uh, what?  Of course he's also referred to as an American.  Maybe many
Americans refer to him as a Texan to try to distance themselves from
him, since coming from Texas is an excuse for being an imbecile.  :P

Of course, he was actually born in Conneticut, but whatever...

Why you think the common usage that is recognized throughout the world
shouldn't matter is completely beyond me.

> I am asking if a Canadian told you that he was also an American (even
> though he was not from the USA, and had never been in the USA, and
> exactly none of his ancestors were from or ever in the USA) would you
> argue with him and claim that he was wrong?

Heh.  As if any self-respecting Canadian would *ever* refer to
themselves as "American"...

--
Blast you and your estrogenical treachery!