Re: PROPOSAL - REFORMULATED - Create alternative Packages files foreach

Why do we keep trying to solve the Packages file problem?  It's a
pseudo-database file, right?

<OVERKILL>Why not create a protocol to query for individual package
entries?</OVERKILL>

OK, so perhaps it's not really overkill, but think about it.  People are
worried about bandwidth and database bloat.  Answer me this.  Why does
everyone need a full copy of all available packages in the Debian
archive?  Why not simply ask about information you're interested in?
There are a number of protocols out there that could accommidate such a
solution: ODBC, native SQL clients, X-Path.  Hell, GNATS has regex
matching for querying its index file.  It might not be much of a stretch
to build a GNATS compatible index.

Anyway, enough brain-storming.  Time to go to sleep. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/