Re: PROPOSAL - REFORMULATED - Create alternative Packages files for each section

am> Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> Other possibility and better, IMHO, is provide alternative Packages
>> files but at first time all will be get and then only which had
>> changes.
>>
>> This can solve the dependencies problems and the processing time can
>> be smaller since you can process only the changed packages file.
>>
>> What all thinks about?

am> Just have Packages{,.gz,bz2} as we have now, plus files like

am> Packages-2004-08-24.bz2
am> Packages-2004-08-23.bz2
am> Packages-2004-08-22.bz2
am> ...
am> Packages-2004-08-14.bz2

am> Each one of these Package files would just be composed of a diff (not a
am> literal `diff` :) between the prev. day's Packages and the next. Then
am> apt would just keep track what date it downloaded last.

am> The only problem that could arise is if the full Packages file is not up
am> to sync (for example, a day old). To work around this, full Packages
am> downloads should also download the latest Packages-`date -u -I`.bz2
am> files and use that package's date as a reference date.

am> Since this feature would not be used by all people, but would be very
am> handy for others, this should be implemented as an option turned off by
am> default.

am> Any opinions?

Will reduze the download a lot bug the processing no since this will
apply in Packages and then it need to be full reprocessed.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116