Re: PROPOSAL - REFORMULATED - Create alternative Packages files foreach

|| On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:53:51 -0500
|| Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net> wrote:

cw> Why do we keep trying to solve the Packages file problem?  It's a
cw> pseudo-database file, right?

cw> <OVERKILL>Why not create a protocol to query for individual package
cw> entries?</OVERKILL>

cw> OK, so perhaps it's not really overkill, but think about it.  People are
cw> worried about bandwidth and database bloat.  Answer me this.  Why does
cw> everyone need a full copy of all available packages in the Debian
cw> archive?  Why not simply ask about information you're interested in?
cw> There are a number of protocols out there that could accommidate such a
cw> solution: ODBC, native SQL clients, X-Path.  Hell, GNATS has regex
cw> matching for querying its index file.  It might not be much of a stretch
cw> to build a GNATS compatible index.

Well, this can be give as option but many users doesn't like to use
network connection every time when ask something about *one*
package. Another problem is server side since we will need a lot of
machine power to support it.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116