Re: RFC: associate upstream email with every source package

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:10:10PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > Also, I think its a good idea for upstream to be made aware of the
> > debian bugs page for their package.  This is only important if there's
> > a more than a couple outstanding bugs.
>
> It is the Debian maintainer's job to track things and in this way to
> be a triage for the upstream.  Telling upstream to track the Debian
> BTS themselves is not right.

It's unfortunate, but there are a good number of maintainers who don't
see this as their responsibility.  I've been bit before where upstream
actually wrote the bug back asking for more information, and the
maintainer never even replied ("I don't have time to track upstream
bugs.").

On the other hand, I'm not sure that this new "easy to email"
functionality is really needed, because upstream developers can achieve
the same result by subscribing to bug reports in the PTS.  Or am I
missing something?

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>