Re: RFC: associate upstream email with every source package

Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> It occurs to me that it would be useful for one or more upstream email
> addresses to be associated with each source package.  This would allow
> eg. the bts program to have a forward-upstream command.

This kind of information is already supposed to be in the
debian/copyright file.

Not every package even *has* a decent upstream email address, and many
upstreams use bugzilla or the like.  For them it is conventional to
use the BTS "forwarded" command with a URL instead of an email
address.

Automated sending of mail to upstream is a bad bad idea.

> Also, I think its a good idea for upstream to be made aware of the
> debian bugs page for their package.  This is only important if there's
> a more than a couple outstanding bugs.

It is the Debian maintainer's job to track things and in this way to
be a triage for the upstream.  Telling upstream to track the Debian
BTS themselves is not right.

Thomas