Re: PROPOSAL to sarge+1 - Split main in sub-repositories

Hello

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 11:22:09PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> > split main to the sections inside it, in a way to have separated
> > package files for each section, so I can choose which sections I
> > don't want at all, like kde and gnome, and maybe even games, or sound
>
> There are more than 30 sections; this would make sources.list completely
> unmaintainable.
>
> Also, if you run up the numbers you will see that there are almost no
> reasonable combinations of sections to leave out on anything but highly
> specialized systems that will give you a space saving of say at least
> 25%.  You usually need at least one shell, one editor, one mail thing,
> one program to access a network, some Perl module, some utility, etc.
>
> A solution that avoids shipping the entire Packages file every time
> sounds like a more promising idea.

An alternative approach is to generate sub-Packages files in addition
to the normal ones. Then people can use the standard behaviour as default
but people that want to limit their Packages files can have just
a limited set. This will need changes on the ftp-master side and
changed on each computer that want to enable this feature.

This way we can be backwards compatible.

Diffs is another thing and can be implemented independently.

Regards,

// Ola