Re: Web applications

my english was horrible, wasn't it ?

well, I'll try to make a list of what should be unified (I'll use a lot of
Sean's list, but not only)

(1) DATABASE RELATED

 * whether/how to prompt for database usernames/passwords via debconf
   (if necessary), and how not to store the root password.
 * having a list of available ressource (local or distant)

(2) WEB SERVERS RELATED

 * how to get a list of different installed web servers, and how to
   select which ones to target for installation.
 * whether/how to include one's configuration with apache.  ideally
   there'd be a conf.d style directory, though if the apache folks could
   settle on a name for their config script calling that in postinst would
   work too :)
 * whether/how to restart the web server

(3) WEB APPS ADMIN RELATED

 * fhs-compliant layout for sites, examples of how to seperate the config
   from the rest of the site.  what constitutes something that ought to be
   in /var/cache, /var/lib, et c.
 * find solution for themeable sites (we don't want the admin to create
   custom files into /usr/share or to patch sites by hand !!!)

(4) WEB APPS PACKAGING RELATED (aka MISC ;p)

 * whether/how to prompt for whether to leave the database after purge
   (or uploaded files, or any local ressource generated by the app)
 * default settings, disallowing default username/passwords for
   web-accessible services.
 * have the possibility to install as a subdirectory of or as a pure vhost

(5) WEB SCRIPTING LANGAGES RELATED

 * php ought to have a php.d directory
 * php PEAR packaging should have a policy

--
Pierre Habouzit                                   http://www.madism.org/