Re: Advice with uncooperative maintainers

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 01:17:01PM +0200, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:26:21PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Robert Millan wrote:
>>> On 1 Aug 2004, I sent a wishlist bug report to the 'esound' package, with
>>> an attached patch that fixed the problem.  I noticed that Ryan is not
>> Bug# for the wishlist?  NMU Bug#?  More information would be nice.

>> > Also, he removed all trace of my upload in the debian/changelog file.

FWIW I think that is ok if the other changes from the NMU were
dropped, too. - The changes made are not in the package, therefore
should not be claimed to have been made in debian/changelog.

We still differ quite strongly between _real_ uploads and NMUs. NMUs
need to use a special version number and they do not close bugs. -
Bugs are only closed by the maintainer if he accepts the changes made
in the NMU and incorporates. - This supports the idea that a NMU can
also be rejected by the maintainer.

Be aware that I have not passed any judgement whether
esound is maintained properly or not, just that I think a package
maintainer has the right to reject changes made in a NMU.

>> If the NMU was installed, he ought to keep the changelog entry.  Otherwise
>> (if it never made it out of incoming), the point is really academic.

>  Not really out of incoming, but out of UploadQueue, as once katie has
>  run and got the package, you need to push your verssion number to get
>  another package allowed in (as he did). So the question now when
>  somebody reads the changelog is: where is version 0.2.29-1?

-1 is in the changelog of course, because it was the last maintainer
upload before -2, the NMUs were -1.1 to -1.3. as can be seen on
http://packages.qa.debian.org/esound
                    cuandreas