Re: Release update: base and standard frozen

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 06:49:02AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 02:04:42AM +0200, Adeodato Sim? wrote:
> >> * Matthew Palmer [Mon, 09 Aug 2004 09:51:52 +1000]:

> >>   $ grep-excuses gnutls11 | grep freeze
> >>     Package is in freeze; use testing-proposed-updates for changes
> >
> > Well that looks interesting; I wonder what it's basis for making those
> > decisions is, though.  If it's just a list of "these packages won't be
> > transitioned", that (a) won't really work for a whole-archive freeze, and
> > (b) doesn't solve the problem of buildd backlog.
>
> Two things would be nice:
>
> 1. testing candidate is every package which source was uploaded X day
> before the freeze (X being the sarge delay of the urgency). If buildds
> take long to build a package it could enter sarge way past the freeze
> time.

While I agree in theory, there's one problem in practice:

* Package gets uploaded for architecture X
* Package doesn't get built for a week or two on architecture Y because
  of buildd backlog
* Package is frozen (but can still migrate, because it was uploaded on
  time)
* Package gets built on architecture Y
* There seems to be a problem on architecture Y which isn't RC, but
  which is quite an annoyance for people using the package.

Now what?

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks