Re: Release update: base and standard frozen

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 01:54:48PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> How about 'less uploads'? ;-)
> Really, this is typical behaviour right before a freeze: everyone making
> last-minute uploads to fix bugs that they want to have fixed in stable,
> but that aren't RC. Apart from a planning, the release plan happens to
> be a wake-up call in many cases, too. We can have overcapacity for
> buildds, but you can't expect us to deal with every possible upload
> spike...
[...]
> Yes, I realize that isn't really good enough; but this can really only
> be handled as it should by the release managers, not by the buildd
> admins -- although we (the m68k team, at least) are trying to do what we
> can at our side (that is, more buildd machines are in the makes, but
> we're 'not quite there yet'). I expect the same is happening for other
> architectures, but I'm as knowledgeable there as any of you.

I've already asked last year for including some sort of advice (or if you
like: "policy") into the release plan announcements to lighten the load on
the buildds, because it's every time the same procedure: DDs uploading lots
and lots of packages and complain loudly about the huge backlog later.

So far I've never ever read a hint or advice in one of those release
plans...

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/