Re: Release update: base and standard frozen

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 09:30:33PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> You seem to be talking about the 'section' ordering done by the
> autobuilders.

Yes.

> It is as you say 'more-or-less' build-depend order, but not quite.
> And this could be improved. :)
>
> >> Is it also looking at the time since the upload,
> >
> > No.
>
> Perhaps it should.  That would be a possible improvement too. :)

Those two things could indeed be improved, yes. Unfortunately, though,
not without major surgery to wanna-build.

Usually, wanna-build copes just fine; it's just when there are upload
spikes that there are troubles. And believe me, this is a /huge/ upload
spike. No sane measures could have coped with this.

> > http://people.debian.org/~wouter/wanna-build-states
>
> Thanks.  I've read it, and notice several of the possible improvements
> I've mentioned are not described there.

Correct.

> So it looks like there _are_ more things the autobuild maintainers can
> try instead to "adding an insane amount of new buildd machines".

I don't believe I said we can't do anything about it. I did say, though,
that there was nothing we could do about it anymore /right now/, except
for a) adding an insane amount of buildd machines, b) starting to do
work on something which /might/ be finished in a few months (and
therefore be too late to help out right now), or c) just sit and wait
until the situation resolves itself.

> And these improvements might even be useful after the release. :)

Might be, but they'll not be finished before that time. And, really, you
won't find me fiddling with infrastructure as crucial as the central
wanna-build database when a release is near. I don't like to be lynched.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks