Re: Release update: base and standard frozen

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 02:20:20PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Wouter Verhelst]
> > True. However, apart from adding an insane amount of new buildd
> > machines (which will no longer be useful after the release), there's
> > not much we can do. Rest assured, this upload spike is
> > temporarily. When the freeze is final, it'll be finished.
>
> Well, one can do something about the build ordering.  Packages which
> many packages build-depending on them should be given priority.  And
> packages could be sorted in build-depend order, to avoid trying to
> build package foo before it's build-dependency libbar only to see it
> fail.

That is already done, for as much as is possible with the current state
of things. Don't expect stuff to magically be fixed when there's little
time...

> Besides, I don't think it is necessary to have an insane amount of new
> buildds to reduce the problem.  A little redundancy, and some
> overcapasity should be able to solve most of the problem.

There is quite a lot of redundancy, and quite a bit of overcapacity for
normal circumstances as well. However, these aren't normal
circumstances...

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks