Re: SPF - exim4 + debian.org

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:06:37AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Miles Bader (miles@lsi.nec.co.jp) wrote:
> > Morever, usernames are often not picked by the person doing the
> > installing (e.g., consider a multi-user system), and may actually
> > pre-date use of debian (or the debian system may be only one machine in
> > an environment with global usernames).
> >
> > If the length is the problem, why not just "deb-exim" or something?
> > That seems much less likely to conflict.
>
> It seems to me that a problem is being invented so that it can be
> 'fixed'.  The problem doesn't exist and 'fixing' it just makes things
> ugly for no reason.

I think that's a good argument not to change it again. The only argument
I've seen against "Debian-exim" is that it's "ugly".

The BTS includes such gems as #225031,
"Exim run as user "Debian-exim". I don't like this choise,"

and #255493,
"I prefer, if you only call him "exim" ... more readable for me."

and a follow-up to #223831,
"Please use the user/groupname 'exim' instead of the terrificly long
'Debian-exim'." with no rationale, from someone who didn't even include
their real name.

The only reasonable argument (IMHO) is in #223831, which suggests
changing it to all lowercase (debian-exim). That would lower the
surprise. Anything else is just individual choice, IMHO.

Hamish