On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 10:46:10PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> Furthermore, note how incredibly difficult it is to teach someone how to
> ride a bike whilst simultaneously riding yourself.  You have to stop riding,
> hop off, and go help the other person.
>
> Now, ask yourself this -- would you rather have ftp-masters, listmasters,
> project secretary, and a million other things in Debian riding their bikes
> to the benefit of the project, or spending all their time herding newbies
> who are just as likely to decide it's not their cup of tea after all and
> wander off and do something else as stay and help?

This argument has been proffered before and is incredibly short-sighted.

We need to get robust processes and teams in place so that we're not
dependent on single individuals.  The time taken out of someone's day to
bring team members up to speed is nothing compared with the time that will be
lost if someone in an important position suddenly leaves the project.

--Adam
--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>