Re: Stop the madness (Re: -= PROPOSAL =- Release sarge with amd64)

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 06:44:18AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
>> > Sure, I've been in the same situation.  However, I wouldn't be the least bit
>> > surprised that you would decline to do so if the questions and offers came
>> > from people who had been extremely public about what a jerk they thought you
>> > were.  I certainly wouldn't be so inclined.
>>
>> In a public position such a behaviour is less acceptable than in
>> private. And didn't James himself claim that that didn't sway his
>> acting on the amd64 matter? So his not communicating has nothing do
>> with who asked the question? So by his admissions its a general trend?
>
> No; in fact, he said quite clearly that he tended to ignore mail from such
> people, and I can't say that I blame him.  Holding a public position in
> Debian doesn't mean that you are required to accept abuse.

Scroll further. He claimed both that this thing tends do slow down
things and that it hasn't in this case iirc.

> Can you think of any major operation in Debian which was accelerated by
> yelling the equivalent of HURRY UP DAMMIT and making rude comments about
> those responsible for its execution?

Only after yelling around the buildd situation for mips, mipsel and
arm where clarified.

On several occasions after yelling our DPL said he would look into the
problem and resolved some of them.

There certainly is a history of cases where only through a tantrum a
reaction was reached.

MfG
        Goswin