Re: Stop the madness (Re: -= PROPOSAL =- Release sarge with amd64)

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:49:48AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote (referring to ftpmasters):
> >Consider the situation from their perspective.  They have work to do in
> >order for amd64 to enter the archive.
> What work?  They haven't stated what it is.  They also appear to have
> numerous volunteers to do the work, *whatever* it is.  So what's the
> holdup?  We'd really like to know!

They aren't expected to submit a proposal for anyone's review or approval.
Neither is anyone else expected to do so for their own Debian
responsibilities.

> As everyone knows, being a volunteer is not an excuse for the nasty
> combination of
> (a) not doing the work
> and
> (b) not letting anyone else do the work
>
> Now, ftpmasters may not be doing that combo.  But to an observer who isn't
> privy to secret knowledge, it can *look* like they are.  Changing that
> appearance would make an enormous difference.

If what you want is a dialogue with the ftpmasters, then this isn't the
right way to go about it.  If you make disparaging remarks about someone in
a public forum, it does not encourage them to be more open with you.  If a
certain person behaves that way toward me consistently, I lose interest in
what they have to say.  Why would I give them more to complain about?

I don't speak for anyone invoved, but I know the feeling.

--
 - mdz