Re: DO NOT REMOVE the lib packages after updates

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 05:12:27PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> So it is sane to fuckup a dozen of dependent packages that rely on your
> library? Without warnings? I think every library package maintainer should
> realize that it is not only his lib package and maybe the few client
> packages that he is responsible for - he shares the responsibility for
> the state of all packages directly depending on this library.

It requires a bit of coordination with the other maintainers if you want
the change to go 100% smoothly.  When I've done this in the past I've
contacted the maintainers of other affected packages, giving them access
to a prerelease version of the new package and we've worked out some
scheme for getting the transition done with the minumum of fuss.  This
has always been a pretty painless process for me.

Obviously, just suddenly uploading the package without warning can cause
issues but they can be avoided without having to keep the old source
package kicking around.