Re: AMD64 for sarge [Re: <rant> Package: ftpmasters, Severity: serious, ...]

* Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader (leader@debian.org) wrote:
>   - Some technical AMD64 questions: ftpmaster had some specific
>     questions about the AMD64 port they want to see answered.  Also,
>     an LSB person recently expressed some technical concerns (see [1]).

We'd love to hear these questions so that we can answer them.  The LSB
issue was answered on debian-amd64 already.

In summary: The pure64 amd64 port doesn't support ia32 in the same way
other vendors do, or all that well in general really.  It's not meant
to.  The /lib vs. /lib64 hack is bad and wrong and will be going away
in favor of multiarch, a much cleaner and more elegant solution.

Even so, there's been success with ia32-libs and with taking
pre-compiled 64bit binaries from other distributions and running them
on Debian.

	Stephen