Re: AMD64 for sarge [Re: <rant> Package: ftpmasters, Severity: serious, ...]

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:48:12AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader (leader@debian.org) wrote:
> >   - Some technical AMD64 questions: ftpmaster had some specific
> >     questions about the AMD64 port they want to see answered.  Also,
> >     an LSB person recently expressed some technical concerns (see [1]).
>
> We'd love to hear these questions so that we can answer them.  The LSB
> issue was answered on debian-amd64 already.
>
> In summary: The pure64 amd64 port doesn't support ia32 in the same way
> other vendors do, or all that well in general really.  It's not meant
> to.  The /lib vs. /lib64 hack is bad and wrong and will be going away
> in favor of multiarch, a much cleaner and more elegant solution.

The rest of the universe appears to disagree with the Debian AMD64
porters on this issue, including existing Linux distributions and
commercial Unices.

The whole time you've been discussing this I've been wondering how you
can make a value judgement with such limited view.  There's a lot of
benefit to doing it the way other people do.  Has it actually been
discussed with any other distributors or any standards body?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz