Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 11:44:26PM +0200, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> On 30/06/2004 Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I'm not sure *my* comfort level is the first-order term in this equation.
> >
> > Quoting:
> >
> >     [...]
> >
> >     Daniel, disillusioned and disappoitned ex-'X Strike Force' member[1]
>
> is it required to be 'x strike force' member for uploading xlibs?

That point's under debate (specifically, whether it comprises a whole
new package, or an adoption of xfree86 - no-one reallyknows).

> maybe most recent suggestions about the future of X in debian should
> involve a discussion about the policy for X maintaince.
> as a consequence, current 'x strike force' should undergo a radical
> change, to disponse of any hierachy in this developing group.
> all this assuming that it is required to be member for uploading parts
> of X, regardless what upstrem tree. but if policy is that way, maybe
> this question also needs to be discussed a second time.
>
> in any way, there's no need to compromise daniel this way, as his
> opinion also could have changed, and he plans to start again.

I stated my view of the XSF as it was while I was still a member[0];
I've not had any experience of the mechanics of this group since I wrote
that mail, but my core view has not changed much at all.

-d

[0]: Lacking a better name for 'the group of people who can actually do
     anything special, such as uploading, with X, because any random
     fool can file bug reports'.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org