Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 03:25:36AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 12:15:51PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I should ask whether you think it's a good idea to have a conversation
> > about who should be packaging fd.o's xlibs for Debian, especially given
> > that you expect them to supersede the libraries shipped by the current
> > xfree86 package.
>
> Regardless of who packages it - hell, Ali Akaagac could package it if it
> was of good enough quality - the question is who should maintain it for
> Debian.
>
> I would like to be part of this team, as I am an active upstream member,
> and I think I have reasonable Debian credentials (especially if I'm
> going to be packaging the things in the first place).
>
> Are you comfortable with an Uploaders: field for fd.o xlibs that
> includes myself?

I'm not sure *my* comfort level is the first-order term in this equation.

Quoting:

    In that case, I'd rather you didn't be DPL. The XSF is run as a
    Branden-centric 'team', whereby if someone doesn't agree with you,
    they're wrong. Where if someone slips up and gets a little
    overenthusiastic, they get kicked out of the team briefly, others
    lose their access, and #debian-devel's topic announces that the
    person has hijacked the package in question. Where people get kicked
    out, seemingly on a whim. WHere expectations of others that must be
    followed under all circumstances, are not followed by yourself.

    I was disillusioned with the XSF before I joined. When I joined, it
    didn't get better. My actions were a last-straw attempt to try and
    force two issues, which were quite successfully forced. I don't
    think your XSF credentials reflect at all positively on your
    nomination: if you want to get elected, you're best served by not
    mentioning that again.

    Oh, and did I mention that issues we agreed upon on the phone, were
    blatantly violated by yourself? You made a number of promises and
    conciliations, then proceded to go back to slandering me on IRC, as
    per usual.

    I have no confidence in you, Branden. Not as a developer, not as a
    team leader, and certainly not as a leader (I have more confidence
    in NOTA).

    Daniel, disillusioned and disappoitned ex-'X Strike Force' member[1]

[1] Message-id: <20040320004955.GA13261@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/03/msg00876.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Damnit, we're all going to die;
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    let's die doing something *useful*!