Re: Spam in the lists out of control

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > In either case you don't want to be out of *every* blacklist, you just
> > need to be out of the lists actually used by the people you want to
> > communicate. The more used a list is, the more interesting it
> > will be for you to be out of it.
>
> Actually, I don't care. As I said, if people don't want to talk to me,
> well, tough. I won't jump through hoops for the privilege of talking to
> some random stranger.

You are comparing the procedure of getting out from a DNSBL to the
procedure of replying to a Challenge-Response system like TMDA.

I think they are quite different. The bad thing about C/R systems is
that they do not scale. One has to think what would happen if
everybody used TMDA or similar systems. I think it would be a real chaos.

On the other side, if everybody rejected, say, messages coming from
IPs in list.dsbl.org, then we would all be interested in forwarding
our messages via SMTP servers not in the DSBL, which is actually not
too difficult since that's what most people already do.