Re: kernel-source : end of tg3 NIC support (because of firmware) ?

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 01:21:54PM +0200, Christophe Chisogne wrote:

> I need Tigon3 (tg3) support for a 10/100/1000 NIC used
> on a Dell PowerEdge hosting machine. Installing Debian on it
> wasnt easy (custom 2.4 kernel built and put on install CD...)

[snip]

I thought I saw something in a previous thread relating to tg3 firmware
stating that not loading the firmware wasn't detrimental to the NIC's
operation (at least under certain circumstances), so the driveer itself
(sans firmware loading) could remain in the kernel?

Andrew