Re: [OT] Re: kernel-source : end of tg3 NIC support (because of firmware) ?

Pasi Kärkkäinen a écrit :
Is the procedure of replacing the installation CD kernel with your custom
kernel documented somewhere? I'd like to do that too.

No, I made it the hard way (read doc, man pages, experimenting with files...)
I had to do it because woody and sarge couldnt do anything with that box
( no eth0 support -tg3- for net install, nor even disk support -megaraid- )
and I of course wanted Debian, nothing else ;-)
-- Knoppix CD could help a lot here (both were supported right out of the box)

It probably wasnt the best way, but it worked for me.

I'll try to document it in the following days and post results here
if I have enough time (I cant promise)

Basically I did this:

1. create custom kernel (make menuconfig, dep, bzImage, modules, modules_install)
   to obtain .config, bzImage, System.map and /lib/modules/2.4.x files
2. copy woody install CD on disk
3. copy files from (1) on CD at right places (files like lin24.bin)
   I remember playing with mounting image files with -o loop
   and copying/renaming first 3 files from (1) to make a boot floppy disk
4. create bootable iso file and burn it
5. had regrets when I saw I put ide cdrom support in module, not compiled in
6. was saved by knoppix CD (copy cdrom.o to disk via ssh to another box)

If you have pblms with strange hardware (common with laptops), a good
working strategy is to boot from a recent knoppix live CD and install
from there (manually launching dbootstrap after chroot, etc) [1]
It's a _lot_ easier than what I've done

[1] Debian GNU/Linux Installation with Knoppix and debootstrap
http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

Christophe