Re: AMD64 Port: Almost all packages are ready to be uploaded

Quoting Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net):
> * Frederik Schueler (fs@lowpingbastards.de) wrote:
> > On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 05:17:31PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > > Does Debian's pure amd64 port use lib instead of lib64?
> >
> > would probably render us incompatible to others and the FHS. Please see
> > the discussion on debian-amd64 starting with
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/05/msg00050.html
>
> This is not accurate.  The FHS defines the location of the loader, which
> we support.  The libraries are found through the normal directory
> search.  So long as the binaries being brought over are 64bit they'll
> probably work.  Of course, I don't really believe it's terribly useful
> to be able to copy a binary from RH to Debian (does anyone actually *do*
> this?!) but it should work.

Yes of course it is beeing done today in i386, and it will be done
with the AMD/Intel 64bit versions as well.

Just think of all the commercial software that is beeing packaged
for RH/SuSE, but not Debian. Think Oracle, Sybase, SAP etc.

Not beeing able to run things like this in the future on Debian
will mean that I will have to migrate at least some of my machines
to RH/SuSE. It will also mean that Debian drops completly off the
slate when it comes to spec new (non-Sparc/Solaris) servers
for quite a number of customers of mine. :-(

Cheers
   Mike