Re: Definition of COUNTRY

I demand that Christian Perrier may or may not have written...

> Quoting Darren Salt (linux@youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk):
>> Were I for some reason to choose 'Other', would the installer pick British
>> spelling or American spelling, or would it let me choose?

> There's only one English "translation" for Debian Installer. The templates
> have been written by the people who first wrote the different packages.

> In November/December 2003, I started an effort for putting more consistency
> among the English templates and of course, these were reviewed by several
> English native speakers (thankfully...:-)))

> After this effort, each new template has been immediately arranged for
> "good English" after its first appearance.

This is good...

> These reviewers were mostly from USA (Joey Hess, Steve Langasek, Joshua
> Kwan, Matt Kraai and other I apoligize to) but I guess they made their best
> for avoiding too US spelling or wording (Colin Watson was around....).

> I don't promise that some Z's replacing S's as well as other americanisms
> are not there, however.

-ize instead of -ise is somewhat less of a problem, except where the suffix
has been applied somewhat arbitrarily. One of my 'favourites' is
"alphabetize" - make into an alphabet?

Incorrect adverbial forms [1] should be shot on sight, as should any use of
"off of". And a few other things which presently escape me, but which I'll
know when I see...

> Anyway, everyone is entitled to write some en_GB.po (or en_AU for those
> Bruces around) files the same way other "translators" work, for sure. The
> only thing missing will be the British "accent" when reading the
> templates..:-)

*Which* British accent? There are so many... :-)

> More seriously, a complete proofreading of the English templates is highly
> welcomed... but quickly, please, and with coordination with the translation
> coordinator, ie myself (for making our possible to avoid fuzzying too much
> translations when only cosmetic changes are done to English templates.

I may have a read through the templates of packages which I have installed
here (note: mostly testing); if I see any specific problems, what would be
the best way to report them? Wishlist or minor bug, with Cc: to you?

ddtp.debian.org is presently content-free ;-\

[1] "to explicit exempt" - you know who you are...

--
| Darren Salt   | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| woody, sarge, | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| RISC OS       | Toon Army      | demon co uk
|   We've got Shearer, you haven't

I'll burn my books.