Re: When will amd64 be allowed in sid?

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 07:51:03PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 06:15:47PM +0100, viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk wrote:
> > > Thing is, you need a bi-arch toolchain to build your first 64-bit kernel.
> >
> > Only the first one?  IIRC, some of the code early in boot sequeunce used
> > to require biarch toolchain; had that been fixed?
>
> I was able to build syslinux in a pure64 environment.  I wasn't
> able to build either lilo or grub in it though.  I've used
> bi-arch to make a 32bit staticly linked version of grub.

Hrm...  Where'd you get linux-kernel-headers for amd64?  It's not
required by libc6-dev from biarch, but (more recent) libc6-dev in
pure64 depends on it and neither pure64 on alioth nor the archive
on bytekeeper.as28747.net/amd64/jgoerzen/amd64 appear to have that
bugger.  And it's obviously arch-dependent package (provides
/usr/include/asm), so i386 archives are not useful.

I've put together a pure64 chroot right now, but
	a) libc6-dev (and thus all other lib<...>-dev) is not installable
	b) dpkg-dev is not installable either, which turns building any
packages on that puppy into a very interesting exercise, to put it mildly.

After some digging around I've found (your, AFAICS) collection of packages
including the missing stuff, but...   Could you upload them on alioth?
Would help to avoid a lot of PITA...

Al, still not at the point when building the kernel on pure64 would be
possible (biarch setup allows to do that fine).