Re: What to do with unresponsive maintainers?

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 12:09:31PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 01:10:14PM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> was heard to say:
> > A high bug count an-sich is no shame. It is only an indication that the
> > package apparently is useful, and people take the time to give feedback
> > to make it even more useful.
>
>   That's true, but old bugs that are too vague, unreproducible, and/or
> probably fixed clutter up the bug list (which means it's hard for users
> or developers to find real bugs in the package).  Purging them from time
> to time is a good idea IMO...if anyone cares they are free to reopen
> them with more information or file a new bug.

I don't think we disagree about this, at least I fully agree with this
full paragraph of yours. But this wasn't why the discussion ensued...

The original 'fuzz' was only about this:

* On Sunday 02 May 2004 19:34, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> As for those bugs, I'd say the new maintainer should ask all bug
> reporters to check if the bugs still are present in the recent
> version, and otherwise close the bugs.

Which in original context referred to bugs against those packages in
general. And the approach outlined by Ralf is something Martin Albert
and myself disagree about (or rather in Martin's words: feel
uncomfortable with).

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar