Re: What to do with unresponsive maintainers?

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 11:11:46AM +0200, Martin Albert wrote:
> On Sunday 02 May 2004 19:34, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> > As for those bugs, I'd say the new maintainer should ask all bug
> > reporters to check if the bugs still are present in the recent
> > version, and otherwise close the bugs.
> >
> > I've seen that happen before.
>
> I feel uncomfortable with this statement. At least for me, is asking the
> submitter a very last resort, after i've gone through any measures to
> try to reproduce it myself.

hear hear.

A high bug count an-sich is no shame. It is only an indication that the
package apparently is useful, and people take the time to give feedback
to make it even more useful.

It's only _neglected_ bugs that should be kept at a minimum. Every bug
should at least have some maintainer reaction eventually, to provide
feedback to the submitter that he didn't take the effort to suggest
improvements/signal problems in vain.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar