Re: What to do with unresponsive maintainers?

On Sunday 02 May 2004 19:34, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> As for those bugs, I'd say the new maintainer should ask all bug
> reporters to check if the bugs still are present in the recent
> version, and otherwise close the bugs.
>
> I've seen that happen before.

I feel uncomfortable with this statement. At least for me, is asking the
submitter a very last resort, after i've gone through any measures to
try to reproduce it myself.

Bug reports are not an insult; open, evtly. unreproducible, bugs are
documentation and help users with problems to determine how to proceed.
Unconditional closing of "old" reports, that you don't like to see or
because you want your numbers at 0 is hiding problems at least and IMHO
very bad practice.

Eg.: #111346: 2 years and 239 days old. It's not my oldest bug. I could
easily close it, as the consuming package in question did the wrong
thing, meanwhile does it right and conflicts with my lib, but:
- the problem itself hasn't been dealt with upstream
- i am not yet finished to verify each combination of stacks of keyboard
translations that might build up there
- the special case of running svgalib programs emulated is very tricky
because there are many different ways for such programs to get KB input
and i haven't yet verified that everything works as it should.

So the report in question serves as documentation and reminder. What i
should do is retitle and further comment it (and will do so as soon as
i run out of test programs to build to reproduce and verify ;)

Have a nice day, martin