Re: Re: "Social Contract GR's Affect on sarge" or "Debian commits suicide"

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:08:35PM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:

> JB> You really don't get it, do you?  RMs don't grow on trees.  If you
> JB> drive AJ away with continued insults, how the hell do you think
> JB> you'll get a release out?
>
> Ah, senility has taken hold.  I had forgotten that Anthony Towns is the
> only Release Manager that Debian has ever had.

While this is true, I think it's safe to say that Anthony is currently
the person with by far the best grip on Debian's release needs, and that
it would take some time for even the other people currently involved in
release management to get sufficiently up to speed. That time could be
better spent elsewhere. Sure, if, $DEITY forbid, aj were hit by a bus
then we'd have to get by, but how about we not invite problems we don't
need?

> JB> When I talk about incivility, I'm not talking about expressing strong
> JB> opinions.  I'm talking about turning everything into personal insults.
> JB> AJ has bent over backwards to do the reverse, trying to steer
> JB> disagreements back to the subject at hand, while his opponents make
> JB> subject lines like "Why Anthony Towns is Wrong".
>
> I imagine that AJ has a thicker skin than you think he does.

Of late one would have to be a saint to put up with the level of
personally-directed invective we're seeing.

> Furthermore, it is ludicrous to try and mandate sycophancy toward a DPL
> delegate,

Sycophancy? How about basic civility towards someone who's contributed
very substantial amounts of time, energy, work, code, and organization?
How about not accusing people of malicious intent and sabotage when
they're acting according to their principles, even when you disagree
with them? How about putting yourself in the shoes of the person against
whom you (plural) are filling mailing lists with abuse?

Sure, I'm not always civil to people, and certainly not sycophantic.
Everyone loses their temper from time to time. But a bit of decency is
called for, even on debian-devel.

Bah.