Siggy Brentrup wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 04:57:58AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>
> Hi Nathanael,
>
> I see you citing this sentence over and over again, maybe you
> can answer my question.
>
>> ... "Debian will remain 100% Free Software" ...
>
> I'm no native english speaker so I might miss some hidden meaning of
> "remain".  For me this sentence only makes sense if Debian ever
> released 100% Free Software, has this ever been true?

Yes, you're right, there is a major problem here.  :-)

The general interpretation has been that, at the time, people *thought*
Debian was 100% Free Software, although they later realized they were
mistaken.  And they've been trying to actually get to 100% Free Software
since then.  In essence, Debian has never succeeded at satisfying line one
of the Social Contract, but at least everyone's trying their best.

It should, no doubt, be changed to something more realistic, such as
"We will do our best to make Debian 100% Free."