On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:20:26PM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Thomas Hood wrote:
> > I don't think that this debate will terminate because I don't think
> > that it is possible to come up with a definition that will decide
> > every case.  There is a clear difference between programs and data in
> > many familiar computing situations; in other situations there is no
> > clear difference.
>
> Name one such situation.

Consider a source code file that has Doxygen-style comments intertwined
with it. Is that file source (i.e., a program), or is it documentation?

Consider a webserver with static pages, but static pages that are full
of JavaScript. From the viewpoint of the webserver, are those pages
programs, or data?

Consider the already beaten-to-death horse of firmware. When compiled
into the kernel, is firmware a program, or is it data?

In all three of these situtations, many will argue one; many others will
argue the other. It is hard, if not impossible, to come up with a
definition of "programs" vs "data" that is not problematic.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks