Re: "Social Contract GR's Affect on sarge" or "Debian commits suicide"

Will Newton wrote:

> On Monday 26 Apr 2004 23:59, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
>> I don't think you can blame the RM because most developers failed to
>> understand the effect. In fact 80% failed to show any interest at all
>> (did not vote). 16% voted in favour. 4% voted against.
>> Developers have to accept responsibility for their own (in)actions.
>
> I did not blame anyone for the low turnout. But it would seem to make more
> sense to make a fuss at the point when something can actually be done
> about the problem, rather than directly after.
>
>> Of course, titling these as "editorial changes" was a good trick,
>> contributing to 80% of developers being uninterested.
>
> Agreed. I myself did not vote because after reading the proposal I did not
> feel the changes were substantive. Obviously I'm wrong, but it's other
> people's opinions that have made me wrong, which is something rather
> beyond my control.

Exactly.  The changes were not really substantive; it's the interpretation
of the perverse minority, and in particular the position of one of them as
RM, which causes a substantive effect.

I suppose the GR could have had a warning label: "This may cause some
deluded people to get a clue, or possibly to have hissy fits."