Re: problem with dpkg-reconfigure and noninteractive frontend

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Denis Barbier wrote:
> But if debconf database is removed for any reason and
> /etc/locale.gen has not been modified, default debconf values will
> be used, which means that all locales are removed.

I'd imagine that you should then decide which of the two situations is
worse, and make the default act accordingly.

That is:

1) Read in the values from the config file and set the debconf values
to that.

- or -

2) Set the config file to the default values from the debconf
database.

- or -

3) Punt and ask the user what to do.

[One would imagine that the sane way to do this is to figure out which
of the settings is the most recent, and stick with that... if there
was (is?) a way to distinguish between the times that values in
debconf were selected, that would be quite usefull in this situation.]

But regardless, if the user has modified the file at all their
decision needs to be respected... [these # XXX GENERATED XXX lines
need to go.]

Don Armstrong

--
Any excuse will serve a tyrant.