Re: problem with dpkg-reconfigure and noninteractive frontend

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 02:43:25PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > When a package is reconfigured, the new debconf settings and current
> > configuration files are available, but previous debconf settings are
> > not and you cannot determine that there have been no local changes.
>
> While the former is true[1], the latter is not. See, for example, how
> xserver-xfree86 deals (perhaps suboptimally) with this situation.
>
> It's not all that difficult to determine whether a file has been
> modified by the user or not. [Well, assuming the user actually makes a
> change to the file... but you'd have the same problems with
> conffiles.]

Consider for instance the locales package, can you please explain how
local changes in /etc/locale.gen can be preserved while reconfiguring
it in noninteractive mode?
I would really like to learn how to do it, but honestly I doubt that
this is doable, e.g. debconf database might have been removed, in
which case /etc/locale.gen must of course not be cleared out.

Denis