Re: problem with dpkg-reconfigure and noninteractive frontend

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Denis Barbier wrote:
> When a package is reconfigured, the new debconf settings and current
> configuration files are available, but previous debconf settings are
> not and you cannot determine that there have been no local changes.

While the former is true[1], the latter is not. See, for example, how
xserver-xfree86 deals (perhaps suboptimally) with this situation.

It's not all that difficult to determine whether a file has been
modified by the user or not. [Well, assuming the user actually makes a
change to the file... but you'd have the same problems with

Don Armstrong

1: I'm not as familiar with debconf internals as I could be, so there
might be some method to determine the previous values... I'm just not
aware of it.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on
 -- Mark Twain