Re: partial Debian mirroring - Was: dpkg rewrite in Java

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 10:25, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> I have switched to V2 some time ago, and there are two things I don't
> like about it:
>
> - Big memory footprint, especially when downloading big
>   packages. There seems to be a correlation between the size of the
>   package and the memory consumed by apt-proxy, which is really bad
>   for things like OOo.

Yes, I noticed this when reading the fetching code recently; it needs to
be improved not to keep the streamed file in memory before writing it
out.

> - Generally high CPU consumption

I've been sent details of how to use apt-proxy with python-psyco, which
works like a JIT compiler to reduce CPU usage (at a cost of more memory
overhead); I'll try and get this in the next version or so.

Thanks,
Chris