Re: Configuration by using local packages

"W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 02:20:05AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> "W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> writes:
>> If you edit the config afterwards or let dpkg overwrite it when
>> updating nis your nis-local package would find out and ask you how to
>> handle the situation.
>
> I'm not sure: If a config file is in package nis, it cannot
> be in package nis-local, too without having the a conflict,
> right?

No. nis-local would have e.g. /usr/share/nis-local/myconfig and copy
that in its postinst, or so I understood the beginning of the thread.

>> For nis and build your own with your own config, i.e. build a
>> non-empty nis-local that replaces,conflict,provides nis.
>
> But nis is only an example - I have ten or twenty packages
> with some local configuration (samba, apache, ...).  It's
> not an option to have all those packages in local variants.
>
> That's why I asked about more "intelligent" way of config
> file handling, like cfengine in postinst.  Nobody tried
> this?

Forking them would be clean, breaking policy and overwriting their
config from another deb would be practical.

In most cases you can find a middle ground:

Package nis-local with configs in /etc/nis-local/. In the postinst
file you dpkg-divert the nis packages to wraper scripts that start the
real nis programms but with extra options so they use the configs in
/etc/nis-local/ instead of their usual place.

Not sure if you can do that with nis but with samba or apache that
should be possible. You would even have policy compliant debs.

MfG
        Goswin