Re: Configuration by using local packages

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 02:20:05AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> "W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> writes:
> If you edit the config afterwards or let dpkg overwrite it when
> updating nis your nis-local package would find out and ask you how to
> handle the situation.

I'm not sure: If a config file is in package nis, it cannot
be in package nis-local, too without having the a conflict,
right?

> For nis and build your own with your own config, i.e. build a
> non-empty nis-local that replaces,conflict,provides nis.

But nis is only an example - I have ten or twenty packages
with some local configuration (samba, apache, ...).  It's
not an option to have all those packages in local variants.

That's why I asked about more "intelligent" way of config
file handling, like cfengine in postinst.  Nobody tried
this?

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~debacle/