Re: Configuration by using local packages

"W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
>> But if you update the local package it silently overwrites changes.
>>
>> Using ucf seems better but its still a dirty hack.
>
> My understanding of ucf is, that the "original" package has
> already to use it to make it work.  Example: I have a local
> configuration of NIS, so I install the Debian nis package
> and my nis-local package, that overwrites /etc/yp.something
> - can I use ucf for this in nis-local, even if the Debian
> nis package does not use it?

If you edit the config afterwards or let dpkg overwrite it when
updating nis your nis-local package would find out and ask you how to
handle the situation.

That would be the benefit, nothing else.

> So, what is the best way to handle this?

For nis and build your own with your own config, i.e. build a
non-empty nis-local that replaces,conflict,provides nis.

MfG
        Goswin