Re: DRAFT for a GR proposal concerning the Sarge release

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:37:46PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 06:02:40PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > > 	The former is fine, this merely reinstates the former release
> > >  policy. But wilfully distributing software that violates the license
> > >  it is shipped under is illegal; and we no longer have a right to
> > >  distribute it.
> >
> > Firstly, where are the GPL violations?
>
> The first (trivial) one is that we're distributing the sourceless
> emededed modules which are licenced under the GPL without complying
> with either GPL §3(a) or GPL §3(b).

Alright. Thanks for a reasonable explanation, rather than a rant.

I notice that some files that contain sourceless firmware do not
actually have any license mentioned (eg acenic_firmware.h in the vanilla
kernel source (but missing from debian's)). I assume the kernel's
overall license dominates.

Hamish