Re: DRAFT for a GR proposal concerning the Sarge release

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:22:29 +1000, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> said:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 06:02:40PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> The former is fine, this merely reinstates the former release
>> policy. But wilfully distributing software that violates the
>> license it is shipped under is illegal; and we no longer have a
>> right to distribute it.

> Firstly, where are the GPL violations? All I see in the kernel is
> DFSG violations. Those sourceless embedded codes aren't being linked
> against the kernel in any way at all.

	Would you please not cut out the context, and proceed to
 attack strawmen?

>>>	The former is fine, this merely reinstates the former release
>>> policy. But wilfully distributing software that violates the license
>>> it is shipped under is illegal; and we no longer have a right to
>>> distribute it.

	The GPL violation was what was being proposed we ignore. Here,
	let me quote it "We are aware of the fact that both Woody and
	Sarge contain components that violate  .... and the GNU
	General Public License..."

> Secondly, when did violating the license become "illegal"? IANAL but

	If you get software under license A; and you violate that
 license, you no longer ahve the right to distribute it. If you
 continue to distribute that work, despite having no rights to do so,
 you are in violation of copyright law.

	In laymans terms, when you commit an act in violation of the
 law, we call it illegal.

> isn't a license a form of contract and therefore a civil matter?

	And breaking civil law is not illegal where you live? Or you
 do not have copyright law?

  Illegal \Il*le"gal\, a. [Pref. il- not + legal: cf. F.
     ill['e]gal.]
     Not according to, or authorized by, law; specif., contrary
     to, or in violation of, human law; unlawful; illicit; hence,
     immoral; as, an illegal act; illegal trade; illegal love.

> You spoke of jail time but I can't see how that's relevant. Actually
> it's just FUD.

	FUD, eh? You are quick to throw out such accusations with very
 little research, I must say.

	here are the facts: and people who sell debian CD's may
 easily cross $1000 in a 6 month period.

   http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html

In a case where the copyright owner sustains the burden of proving,
and the court finds, that infringement was committed willfully, the
court in its discretion may increase the award of statutory damages to
a sum of not more than $150,000.

(a) Criminal Infringement. \x{2014} Any person who infringes a
    copyright willfully either \x{2014}

(1) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain, or

(2) by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic
    means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or
    phonorecords of 1 or more copyrighted works, which have a total
    retail value of more than $1,000,

shall be punished as provided under section 2319 of title 18, United
States Code. For purposes of this subsection, evidence of reproduction
or distribution of a copyrighted work, by itself, shall not be
sufficient to establish willful infringement.

(b) Forfeiture and Destruction. \x{2014} When any person is convicted
    of any violation of subsection (a), the court in its judgment of
    conviction shall, in addition to the penalty therein prescribed,
    order the forfeiture and destruction or other disposition of all
    infringing copies or phonorecords and all implements, devices, or
    equipment used in the manufacture of such infringing copies or
    phonorecords.

(c) Fraudulent Copyright Notice. \x{2014} Any person who, with
    fraudulent intent, places on any article a notice of copyright or
    words of the same purport that such person knows to be false, or
    who, with fraudulent intent, publicly distributes or imports for
    public distribution any article bearing such notice or words that
    such person knows to be false, shall be fined not more than
    $2,500.

(d) Fraudulent Removal of Copyright Notice. \x{2014} Any person who,
    with fraudulent intent, removes or alters any notice of copyright
    appearing on a copy of a copyrighted work shall be fined not more
    than $2,500.

(e) False Representation. \x{2014} Any person who knowingly makes a
    false representation of a material fact in the application for
    copyright registration provided for by section 409, or in any
    written statement filed in connection with the application, shall
    be fined not more than $2,500.

(f) Rights of Attribution and Integrity. \x{2014} Nothing in this
    section applies to infringement of the rights conferred by section
    106A(a).

	manoj
--
Sailors in ships, sail on!  Even while we died, others rode out the
storm.