On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 06:00:15PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> Mako: any comments about the state of the GFDL talks (eg. whether
> they happened or not)?

The committee includes myself, Don Armstrong, and Eben Moglen (and
nominally Henri Poole although he was not very active) and was started
and initially mediated by Bruce Perens. We talked on phone and again in
person in New York City and had a few issues we ironed out in
email. We've come to agreement how to proceed and on a number of more
substantive issues as well.

Basically, the ball has been out of Don and my court for months and
we've been expecting some sort of public announcement from FSF for as
long. The DPL, Don and I have been in good touch with the FSF on the
issue. They have not been able to wrap up the process on their end for
a number of reasons (SCO being one big one I'm sure, but there
are others).

This has taken longer than anyone involved thought it would. Trust me,
Don and I are *just* (probably more) as frustrated by this as anyone
else is. We expect an announcement very soon and would be very sad to
see this preempted.

Quite honestly, I suspect that part of the delay and lack of urgency
has been due to the release manager's old position that GFDL freeness
would not be a release issue. I've just sent an email to our
counterparts at the FSF alerting them to the recent change in
policy. Hopefully, this will force some quick movement on the
issue. Until then, I'm not sure how much more I can say publicly
without risking the confidentiality of the committee's discussion.

Short of that, if DD's are interested in talking privately, I'll be
willing to say more offlist. This has been a standing offer since last
October (I made it on -private) and many developers have already taken
me up on this.

Regards,
Mako

--