Re: exim4-config: doesn't support smarthost with local mail and rewriting

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 02:44:38PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Policy and mailname(5) both define mailname as the
> visible domain part of outgoing mail. Exim[1] has used it both for that
> purpose and as part of the list of domains that are local, i.e. that
> should be delivered locally.
>
> The fix I intend to implement is to stop to *always* include
> /etc/mailname in local_domains and instead only to add it as default
> for "dc_other_hostnames" in debconf. This should fix this bug *and*
> not break any upgrades of existing installations.
[...]

I have invested a little time in this, starting implementation and
stumbled over these Gotchas:

* Should mailname be used to qualify only senders or also recipient
  addresses?

* There is a reason why /etc/mailname is local: It is used to qualify
  both sender _and_ recipient and you do not want root to be qualified
  as root@hotmail.com.

* How using mailname to qualify senders and hostname -f or "localhost"
  for qualifying recipients?

* Policy is unclear or wrong in this respect.

* What's up with "satellite" ("mail sent by smarthost; no local
  mail")? It currently expects you to use hostname -f in /etc/mailname
  and later hides it with rewriting and uses the value given at "Domain
  name for local users:". The only clean solution would be to abolish
  this rewriting and use /etc/mailname as the "visible name". But
  afaict this cannot be done without breaking upgrades from exim4 and
  exim3.

              cu and- just questions, no answers. -reas