Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:24:15PM +0200, Nik wrote:
> > So?  We're all on the same side.
>
> True enough. I did not attempt to flame anyone, but thought some
> cirtique as to what turns people away from Debian might be
> appreciated.

We get plenty of these.  What would be better appreciated is work done.
If it is not within your interest to help make Debian better, critiques
do us little but register as flamebait.

> However I have meanwhile received at least two responses that are
> insulting in tone and content.

Perhaps you should reexamine your post and figure out how you might have
elicited that type of response.

> I would also like to emphasize, that I do not claim  that certain
> things are impossible with debian, or even the particular installer
> that was in my hands.  Rather I want to point out, that it did not
> live up to my expectations as far as ease of use goes and that in a
> manner that I have no particular wish to try again.

I can't say that I am personally disappointed in our lack of assumed
service to you, though I do not speak for Debian in general.

> Then again ...  this seems to be more the forum for flame wars, maybe
> i rather hand my ideas to someone else.

...and yet there were several constructive posts made to your
inflamatory remarks.  The only thing that you're illustrating right now
is that interpretation is subjective.

Good luck on your endeavors with Gentoo.  Feel free to provide
constructive patches or even USEFUL, content-rich bug reports to
Debian's BTS, should you decide to grace us with your patronage in the
future.  We'll be waiting with baited breath.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie