Re: [debian-devel] Re: Ancient architecture

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> > Maybe important is too strong but standard would be a good middle
> > ground. So many Debian users will need ppp for their modem or dsl
> > connection to install additional packages. People even want ppp included
> > in the D-I itself. Thats not something I would consider being optional.
>
> pcmcia-cs is needed, or at least is extremely important, on some systems.
> It's priority extra because if you *don't* have a laptop, there's really
> no reason to have it installed.
>
> PPP is a very similar situation, I think.  On nearly all of my systems,
> there is no conceivable scenario in which PPP would be used.  It all
> depends on where you use Debian.

Simple way of setting up a vpn with ppp over ssh or netcat. Easiest to
configure, easiest to get by firewalls and reasonable performance. :)

pcmcia-cs and ppp are in quite different situations. pcmcia is only
needed, and then its required, with the right hardware. Ppp on the
other hand is software that any user (in the right group) can
use. Every linux can use ppp but only a few system can use pcmcia-cs.

A linux without ppp is like a linux without vi. Normaly I don't ever
want to use them (as user) and you can perfectly work without them.
But if I need them and they are missing I say "HEY!".

MfG
        Goswin

PS: I have ppp in my personal list of packages to allways install
along with zsh, screen and build-essential so I don't realy care. I
was just wondering that its priority was so low.